segunda-feira, 24 de março de 2008

Start it up

People don't really need to know me well to find out I love to write. I worked for a newspaper, my thesis has 111 pages, and I graduated in Journalism, right? I obviously like it.
I always remember that when I was a little girl, learning my first words, I liked to pretend I was a writer. My mom had an old typewriter and I used to type a couple of sentences using my short vocabulary. Most of them didn't make any sense, but I tried very hard. Once, I wrote a story about a bird learning to fly. My mom was very proud on that day and told me I could actually invest on my career. That is not to say that my story was anything like a best-seller, but people should not expect great imagination and creativity of a 6-year-old girl (we are not talking about Mozart or other genius of human history).
Writing in English makes me feel like that. I do like this language, I do like to write, but it is so hard to organize my ideas and feelings when I already have a beautiful and powerful language in my mind, the wonderful Portuguese!
Sometimes I feel that I am still a child when I communicate in English. There is so much to learn, so many phrasal verbs, hundreds of idiomatic expressions... And there is the "th" sound that doesn't exist in Portuguese!
Two analogies for this first post: I will fall down many times before flying by myself. And: the little girl here has an Advanced English Dictionary named Bryson this time.

Nenhum comentário: